13 Dec 2016
Importance of Stretching
Did you know that regular stretching is just as important as the training that you do. If you're like most people, you probably neglect this aspect of your fitness regime, even though stretching has major benefits. Hopefully these reasons will inspire you to make it part of your schedule!
Here are some of the main benefits of stretching:
For Your Body
- Helps improve flexibility (increases your range of motion)
- Assists in correct posture by lengthening tight muscles that pull areas of the body away from their intended position (because of so much time at our computers, many of us have tight chest muscles which pulls the shoulders and head forward, leaving us with a hunched shoulder look)
- Potential to decrease injury by preparing muscles for work before activity
- Increases blood and nutrient supply to muscles, thereby possibly reducing muscle soreness
For Your Mind
- Even a short amount of time (10-15 minutes) of stretching can calm the mind, provide a mental break, and give your body a chance to recharge
- Try the My Flexibility Zone workouts which offer you a chance to spend quality time releasing tension physically and mentally
Skip the Pre-Workout Stretch
Your muscles should be warm before you begin your stretching. Do a warmup before a workout that simulates the movements you'll be doing in order to warm up and prepare your body. Stretch after the workout when your muscles are already warm.
Focus on the Muscles That Need the Most Help
Instead of trying to stretch your whole body after every time you exercise, focus on a key area of the body each time. Spend longer on each stretch and include more stretches for each area. If you are aware of muscles that are tight, then focus on those ones.
Try the MyStretch&FlexZone workout plans to improve your posture and flexibility and feel invigorated.